Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund 2024 Postgraduate Scholarships
Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships
Applications for the 2024 Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships are now open!
About the 2024 Scholarships:
Two postgraduate scholarships are on offer in 2023 for innovative research into ways to improve land rehabilitation measures for Queensland coal mines.
Applications may be aligned to one or more of the following research priorities:
- Sustainable post-mining land uses including success criteria, for example:
- native ecosystem and biodiversity rehabilitation esp. listed communities,
- rehabilitation of agricultural land esp. subsidence impacts,
- landform design including final voids, and
- renewable energy and other emissions reduction opportunities.
- Water management impacts – surface and groundwater quantity and quality.
- Identification of, and success criteria for, proposed Non Use Management Areas including residual final voids.
- Mine closure and transition esp. working with communities to identify regional rehabilitation opportunities and evaluation of residual risk.
Applications close Monday 11 December 2023.
To give further context to these research priorities, please see the ACARP research priorities newsletter here.
Some example projects of current and past scholarship recipients include:
- Microbial Communities in an Ephemeral Stream System and the Implications of Saline Mine Discharge – University of Queensland;
- Water quality management of Queensland coal mining activities: Developing a framework for monitoring long-term environmental effects – Central Queensland University;
- Soil Organic matter and carbon sequestration in rehabilitated mine soils – University of Queensland; and
- Toolbox for assessing fish habitat & health re coal & gas land practices in Fitzroy Basin – Central Queensland University.
2024 Application Details
Applicants are required to submit a brief proposal (no more than 10 pages) aligned to one or more of the 2024 Research Priorities.