Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund 2018 Postgraduate Scholarships
Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships
The 2018 Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund Postgraduate Scholarships (Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships) are now open for application. Two postgraduate scholarships, worth up to $35,000 per annum each, are on offer for innovative research into ways to improve land rehabilitation measures for Queensland coal mines.
Applications should be aligned to one or more of the following research priorities:
- Native ecosystem rehabilitation;
- Rehabilitation of agricultural land;
- Landform design, drainage and stability;
- Water management impacts – surface and groundwater quantity and quality; and
- Mine closure including preparation for post-mining land uses and risk assessment systems relative to rehabilitation sign-off.
Some example projects of current and past scholarship recipients include:
- Microbial Communities in an Ephemeral Stream System and the Implications of Saline Mine Discharge – University of Queensland;
- Water quality management of Queensland coal mining activities: Developing a framework for monitoring long-term environmental effects – Central Queensland University;
- Soil Organic matter and carbon sequestration in rehabilitated mine soils – University of Queensland; and
- Toolbox for assessing fish habitat & health re coal & gas land practices in Fitzroy Basin – Central Queensland University.
Applications now open
Applicants need to submit a brief proposal (no more than 10 pages) aligned to one or more of the 2018 Research Priorities. All proposals must be accompanied by a completed cover sheet.
NB a university can also submit a proposal, without an assigned student to the proposed project. More details on this can be found in the guideline document.
Applications close Monday 4 December 2017.