Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund 2019 Postgraduate Scholarships
Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships
Applications for the 2019 Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund Postgraduate Scholarships (Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships) are now closed. Applications for 2020 scholarships will open in October 2019.
Application information for the 2019 scholarships:
- Native ecosystem rehabilitation;
- Rehabilitation of agricultural land;
- Landform design, drainage and stability;
- Water management impacts – surface and groundwater quantity and quality;
- Mine closure aspects – post-mining land uses, including flexibility and consideration of options, as well as the utilisation of progressive rehabilitation; and
- Residual risk assessment systems relative to rehabilitation sign-off.
Some example projects of current and past scholarship recipients include:
- Microbial Communities in an Ephemeral Stream System and the Implications of Saline Mine Discharge – University of Queensland;
- Water quality management of Queensland coal mining activities: Developing a framework for monitoring long-term environmental effects – Central Queensland University;
- Soil Organic matter and carbon sequestration in rehabilitated mine soils – University of Queensland; and
- Toolbox for assessing fish habitat & health re coal & gas land practices in Fitzroy Basin – Central Queensland University.
2019 Application Details
Applicants were required to submit a brief proposal (no more than 10 pages) aligned to one or more of the 2019 Research Priorities. It was mandatory that all proposals be accompanied by a completed cover sheet.
NB a university was also able to submit a proposal, without an assigned student to the proposed project. More details on this can be found in the guideline document.
2019 Applications are now closed. 2020 scholarship applications will open October 2019.