Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund 2020 Postgraduate Scholarships - Closed
Minesite Rehabilitation Scholarships
Applications for the 2020 Coal Minesite Rehabilitation Trust Fund Postgraduate Scholarships have now closed. Applications for the 2021 Scholarships will open in October 2020.
Application information for the 2020 scholarships:
- Native ecosystem rehabilitation esp. listed communities and success criteria;
- Rehabilitation of agricultural land esp. subsidence impacts;
- Measurement of rehabilitation success esp. new and emerging technologies;
- Landform design, drainage and stability;
- Water management impacts – surface and groundwater quantity and quality;
- Mine closure and transition esp. working with communities to identify rehabilitation outcomes, meeting regional planning expectations, and evaluation of residual risk.
Other relevant areas of environmental management for coal mining may be considered such as carbon sequestration from rehabilitated land and cumulative impacts.
Some example projects of current and past scholarship recipients include:
- Microbial Communities in an Ephemeral Stream System and the Implications of Saline Mine Discharge – University of Queensland;
- Water quality management of Queensland coal mining activities: Developing a framework for monitoring long-term environmental effects – Central Queensland University;
- Soil Organic matter and carbon sequestration in rehabilitated mine soils – University of Queensland; and
- Toolbox for assessing fish habitat & health re coal & gas land practices in Fitzroy Basin – Central Queensland University.
2020 Application Details
Applicants were required to submit a brief proposal (no more than 10 pages) aligned to one or more of the 2020 Research Priorities.